SERVES: 8 | PREPARATION: 10MIN | COOKING: 10MIN | SKILL LEVEL: EASY
Aussie Eggnog Ingredients
- 6 free range eggs
- 1 cup sugar (I like dark brown sugar, as it has a more distinct taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange-blossom or rose water
- 1 teaspoon strawberry gum, ground
- 1 teaspoon wattleseed, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cardamon pods, crushed
- OPTIONAL: 180 ml (3/4 cup) brandy
- OPTIONAL: 80 ml (1/3 cup) dark rum
- 500 ml (2 cups) full-cream milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) thick cream
- Edible flowers for garnish
Aussie Eggnog Instructions
Chill all the ingredients first. Beat the eggs until they are frothy, then beat in the sugar, vanilla, orange-blossom water and spices.
OPTIONAL: Stir in the brandy, then the rum.
Slowly stir in the milk, then the cream.
Strain and serve over crushed ice (it is Christmas in Australia, after all) with grated nutmeg on top.
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Published on SBS NTIV