Special recipes to make for Mum this Mother's Day!
Mother's Day is an important time to show mums how special they are and there is nothing more special than a home made gift. Made even more special using our amazing Native ingredients, use these recipes and in no time at all you will have a special gift for mum this Mother's Day.
Vitamin C Mask
Kakadu Plum powder has the highest natural source of Vitamin C in the world. Native to Australia, the Kakadu plum is called Gubinge by its traditional landowners. I have been using this powder for everything and I truly believe it is magical. You can buy it online and it will be sent worldwide. A little tip, when you’re feeling run down, mix a teaspoonful with some water and take it as a shot for a few days, letting it work its magic!
- 2 teaspoons Kakadu Plum powder
- a few drops of water
1. Mix the Kakadu Plum powder and water together in a tiny bowl to make a thick paste.
2. Apply to a clean, dry face, then leave for 10–15 minutes. Wash it off with warm water.
Honey and Lemon Myrtle Toner
Honey and roses smell utterly delightful together and they both have incredible healing and anti-ageing properties. Honey is the most gentle exfoliant and is naturally anti-bacterial, making it perfect for oily skin and blocked pores. Use this toner to remove the last residual dirt after a face wash and prior to moisturising. You can also carry it in a little spritz bottle in your handbag for a pick-me-up and hydration burst when travelling.
- 150ml warm water (just warm, not boiling, otherwise you'll kill the good properties in the honey)
- 1–2 teaspoons Raw Organic Honey
- 2 teaspoons Rose Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil
- if you have oily skin, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- if you have dry skin, add 1 teaspoon almond or olive oil
- if you have combination skin, add both of the above
- sterilised lidded jar or small spray bottle
1. Pour the warm water into a small bowl, add the honey and stir until dissolved.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Decant into a sterilised lidded jar or small spray bottle and leave to cool, then store in a cool, dark place or in the fridge for up to three months.
NOTE: You can also use our Wild Tasmanian Lavender or Manuka Essential Oil.
Manuka and Rose Face Moisturiser
Roses are the greatest for skin care. They are active, hydrating and anti-ageing, so this moisturiser is perfect for dry skin. More than that, roses just smell utterly delightful. Search out the roses that actually smell – they are few and far between in the shops these days, so maybe make friends with your neighbour (the one with the scented roses) and swap them for a jar. It depends on the moisture level of the roses as to how much extra oil you will get from them.
- 4 large handfuls of fresh rose petals (any colour), unsprayed and perfumed.
- 200ml Avocado or extra virgin olive oil (depending on the moisture in your petals you may need to add more a week in)
- 10g Beeswax
- 2 teaspoons Vitamin E oil
- 10 drops of Manuka Essential Oil
- wide-mouthed jar
- sterilised jar, for storage
1. Start by shaking off any wee critters inside your rose petals. Put the petals into a wide-mouthed jar and cover with the avocado or olive oil. Use a wooden spoon (or smaller jar that fits inside the larger jar) to bruise the petals. Put the lid on the jar. Leave in the sunlight (inside, but not somewhere too hot, just a place where it can get sunlight) for a couple of weeks. Strain the oil into a bowl and discard the petals.
2. Put the strained rose oil and the beeswax into a double boiler over a low heat and heat until melted and combined. If you don't have a double boiler, then instead use a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water underneath).
3. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little, then stir in the vitamin E oil and rose essential oil. Pour into a sterilised jar and leave to cool completely before putting the lid on. The mix will emulsify like coconut oil does, but will melt when touched. Keep in a cool, dark place for up to a month.
4. Use as required, gently rubbing the moisturiser into your skin.
These recipes and many others can be found in A Conscious Home by Rebecca Sullivan.
We've got everything you need from Australia's backyard to make these unique recipes. Or better yet, grab one of our curated gift packs from the Mother's Day Gift Guide.
If you like the look of these recipes and you think Mum will too, be sure to grab her A Conscious Home Gift Pack to say thanks for all the amazing things she does. A Conscious Home is for all of us trying to live a little lighter and includes 100 + recipes and projects. The pack includes Becs favourite tea (so mum can have a cuppa and a peruse) and essential oils frequently used in the recipes.
Happy making with Mum!