An all-round show-stopper, this one. Impress your mates with your bread-making skills, with little skill at all! Try playing around with any bush spice until you find your favourite. This is best cooked in a fire but an oven will do just as well.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons macadamia or lemon myrtle infused oil
- 300-350ml water
- 500g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons roasted and ground wattleseed (or lemon myrtle, strawberry gum, bush tomato, or saltbush)
1. If using the oven, preheat to 220°C.
2. Mix the oil and water in a jug. Sift the flour into a large bowl, and mix through the salt and wattleseed (spice). Slowly pour in the oil and water, and mix to make a dough.
3. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Dust with flour, place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes,
or ideally wrap in foil and cook on a fire in the ashes. Damper is always best eaten hot with lashings of butter.
Create Damien's Damper with our Warndu Products
Note: The term 'Bush Tucker' and 'Bush Food' are not Warndu's preferred terms for Australian Native Ingredients or Australian Botanicals.
Images: © Luisa Brimble